Here are 5 tips for overcommitting from Business Coach, Missy Day, of Passion 4 Success. This is a summary of her presentation at LG Designs’ “Eat, Laugh, Discover” event for women.
- Be careful when you are scheduling out months in advance. Often times we think, “Oh that’s not until September, sure I can do that.” And what happens? September gets here and we find we have booked ourselves into oblivion. Be mindful of your entire calendar, not just the current month. I recommend you have a white board that has the entire year at a glance so you can easily see what you are scheduling.
- I have found that most people respect an honest “No” for an answer. Why? Because when we are always saying yes to everything, that may convey the wrong message to our clients/friends/family because we don’t seem to have priorities, boundaries or value our own time. Saying no, but wanting to reschedule to a better time shows that you value that person, their time and your time to give them the attention they deserve.
- We have all done this before, we are overbooked, short on time, deadlines coming up and we are at a meeting and we are sitting in the chair, but our minds are off in 100 different places. Managing your time and schedule allows you to be fully present in the moment. Be there for your clients/family and friends, not somewhere else thinking about all the things you have to do.
- We are woman, hear us roar! Yes, we live in a world where the woman does it all, but let’s live in reality shall we? When I turned 45 I discovered something. When you are flat on your back for six weeks because you haven’t taken care of yourself…..the world moves on without you. To satisfy my own ego, I felt I not only had to do it all, but should do so gladly without asking for help. Lesson learned, I don’t have to do it all and it’s ok to ask for help/delegate. What a freeing moment that was for me. It all comes down to prioritizing what’s important in your day and be intentional about keeping to a schedule that benefits everyone. (I’m not saying it’s easy, I’m still somewhat of a control freak, but I know one thing. I don’t want to be flat on my back again for 6 weeks because I couldn’t manage my time.)
- Planning “you time” is critical for your mind, health and those around you. When we overcommit we are taking time from something or someone else. And most of the time that someone else is you. I have my clients commit to 15 to 30 minutes PER DAY for something that’s just for them. For example, reading 10 pages of a book, bubble bath, journaling, reflection and quiet or just sitting in the moment. Whatever they want to do because You matter!!
Missy Day is a Certified John Maxwell Coach who focuses on actionable processes and results so you can realize your own dreams and passion. To learn more about how she can help you take your business to the next level, contact her here: Passion4Success.net